Under a pandemic and amid a typhoon devastation by yearend, the Duros Group reported that it was still able to realize major accomplishments in 2021.
“I am happy, thankful, and proud of the achievements of our business units in such a challenging year as 2021,” said Duros Group Chair Rafaelito A. Barino, who views himself and his wife Fe as “stewards” of their company.
It took years of hard work, perseverance, and keeping the faith, above all, to grow the business, and these values guided them through the challenges of the past year and will continue to be their foundation as they mark new milestones in 2022 and beyond, he added during the State of Duros address held at the Divine Life Institute of Cebu (DLIC) gym last Friday, January 6, 2022.
Now in its 9th year, the event takes a look at the year that was for the different businesses. It has become a yearly tradition for the Duros Group.
Mr. Barino acknowledged and thanked business partners, supportive local officials, committed employees, and various stakeholders for their contributions in making Duros Group into the strong and thriving business that it is today.
Citing the 2021 accomplishments of their business units, Mr. Barino said Duros Development Corporation was picked as the main supplier of 46,000 metric tons of asphalt for the Cebu-Cordova Link Expressway or CCLEX, now considered the longest bridge in the Philippines. This makes the company the asphalt supplier for the three bridges linking the island of Mactan and mainland Cebu. As a homegrown company of the town, it takes immense pride in being awarded the contract to build the municipal hall and future City Hall of Liloan.
The Duros Land Properties, Inc., on the other hand, celebrated its 10th year in the real estate business with the theme and vision of “Shaping Vibrant Cities of the Future.” It was quick to respond to new housing and land needs amid a raging pandemic through developments like Lataban Estate and Golfers’ Village that placed emphasis on more parks and open spaces.
Mindful of the importance of people’s health and the need to be active while still following distancing restrictions, DLPI opened the Woodlands Golf Academy for aspiring junior and adult golfers. It opened last year.
Although 2021 ended amid such tragedy and devastation, the Duros Group maintains an optimistic outlook for 2022. Under the management of the newly-created Duros Hotels, Inc, it is set to open the Cebu Quincentennial Hotel this year, in time for the closing celebration of the 500th anniversary of Christianity in the Philippines, and the One Tectona building that is set to become the first high-end hotel, condo, and SOHO in northern Metro Cebu.
He also cited the following successes of the other Duros Group subsidiaries in 2021:
- San Vic Agro Builders, Inc. was the biggest supplier of processed limestone to Aboitiz Power Corp and Globe Business Power. It also started a 3-hectare Dragon Fruit Farm with 4,000 cuttings.
- Cebu Eco-Thermal Horizon provided 40,000 linear meters of roofings and ceilings to government projects, partner industries, parishes and residentials. As part of its important services to many communities recovering and rebuilding from Odette, it has just taken delivery of two roller forming machines capable of producing 800,000 linear meters of roofing materials annually. It has also now ventured into industrial buildings and housing units.
- San Vic Traders Inc. played a key role in helping Cebu respond to the pandemic by supplying major hospitals with medical grade and top quality masks. Together with CEH, San Vic Traders have also become key components of Duros Land projects as a realization of Mr. Barino’s long-time dream for various companies to work together in synergy on various projects.
- San Vic Food Chain carried on with its food business, and diversified into construction because of the huge demand for it. It has formed a team that has already undertaken major projects that include the Woodlands Golf Academy, Bay-ang Ridge, and the tile works at One Tectona Hotels and Condominium.
- Liloan Golf, a monumental undertaking of the Barinos, is now close to completion. Even with 9 holes, it hosted several tournaments and is becoming known among golfers. The golf course serves as a world-class amenity of Duros projects.
- Divine Life Institute of Cebu, Inc. successfully implemented holistic distance learning education through varied platforms and social media, and confirmed its high standards by passing the Educational Service Contracting Recertification with a guarantee of 4 years as an ESC certified school. This gives it access to government subsidies for students and teachers.
- RFB Foundation concretized belief in action through such corporate social responsibility initiatives as the Duros Academy Program, which provides skills training and job opportunities to former drug surrenderees.
From company activities like the Family Fun Golf and wellness programs to crucial corporate brand training, the Duros Group continues to promote the wellbeing of its board of directors, family members, and employees. It was among the first to implement a COVID-19 vaccination program through the Project Balik Buhay, with the presidents and managers of each company setting the example.
Typhoon relief operations
Super Typhoon Odette did not spare the Duros Group from devastation, and its business units also suffered from damaged structures, lack of electricity, water scarcity, and limited phone signal and means of communication, but it rose to the challenge of extending support to communities and vital facilities.
It was able to immediately dispatch 300,000 liters of water for 8,000 families within Cebu, provide a payloader and 2 dump trucks to help with road clearings, contributed diesel fuel, donated 6,000 food packs of rice, canned goods, and spaghetti, and offered the free use of generator sets.
“These acts of love and compassion are a manifestation of the values of our company. The Duros Group looks beyond money and profits, we value relationships and service,” Mr. Barino pointed out.
This makes the yearly gathering, held 25 days after a powerful storm devastated several parts of the country, one of thanksgiving and gratitude for the Duros Group, he added. Throughout the widespread damage and devastation, Mr. Barino said they have taken on the important mission of helping the community rebuild from the damage of Odette.
“Faith, hard work, determination, and collaboration will get us through any storm. But above all, faith. We always cling to our strong faith. We are not afraid. We greet this year and the coming years with hope and a sense of mission. Duros Padayon!” he stressed.